JPDiag Forum Index

JPDiag

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multistrada 1100, 140 Hz Way too tight?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JPDiag Forum Index -> JPDiag -> International section
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Multistradom
Map

Masculin
Bike / Moto: Ducati MTS 1100S

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr - 16:28 (2018)    Post subject: Multistrada 1100, 140 Hz Way too tight? Reply with quote

I just finished using JPDiag to tension the cam belts on my 1100 'strada to give a frequency of 140 Hz. The application is easy to use and gives convincing results that are repeatable and seem to respond in an appropriate fashion to any adjustments made, but 140 Hz is awful tight when the engine is at operating temp. Set that way I was getting a loudish rhythmic honking noise when the engine was hot; presumably that was the camshaft bearings protesting?! I re-adjusted the belts to just “snug” with the engine hot and that gave 80 ish Hz when cold. It also gave the appropriate clearance between belt and fixed rollers when shoving a drill bit between the two. 
I’m happy with the way my belts are adjusted now but it seems strange that, apparently, many people have used JPDiag to set theirs at 140 Hz and have experienced no problems. 
Has anyone else had a similar experience to mine?

AIM
Publicité

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr - 16:28 (2018)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
jpl250rs
Administrateur

Masculin
Bike / Moto: 899

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr - 19:30 (2018)    Post subject: Multistrada 1100, 140 Hz Way too tight? Reply with quote

you set up at TDC ?
belts are new?

MSN
Multistradom
Map

Masculin
Bike / Moto: Ducati MTS 1100S

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr - 17:40 (2018)    Post subject: Multistrada 1100, 140 Hz Way too tight? Reply with quote

Checked the horizontal belt with all the timing marks aligned as per belt replacement. Then advanced the crankshaft 180 deg to check the vertical belt.

First time around the belts were new.

I did not check the correct vertical belt run the first time round. I checked the section between the crankcase mounted pulley and the adjustable roller, but I don't think that caused the problem.

I've also noticed that I get a 10 Hz difference in reading depending on whether I strum the belt onto the roller or off of the roller.

Cheers! ~ Gary

AIM
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 21:28 (2018)    Post subject: Multistrada 1100, 140 Hz Way too tight?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JPDiag Forum Index -> JPDiag -> International section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation